If you’re out in the Great Outdoors™ on a backpacking trip and you find that you don’t have ample water supplies with you, even with a large and roomy backpack, you may benefit from having some top-quality water filters that can purify nature’s essence for safe consumption. After all, you really should stay hydrated as often as possible, or you never know when the sun might experience a supernova and start drying out all of the lakes and ponds of the earth while turning you into a walking prune.
Seriously, though, you never know when you’ll need to resort to drinking from natural water sources, and it’s a good idea to be safe about it.
So, here are some great and affordable water filters on Amazon that you can bring with you on your trips to keep your water intake where it should be.
Etekcity Portable Water Filtration Straw
For something extremely compact, reliable and easy-to-use, get this Etekcity portable water purifier. Get it for only $29.99 or for $18.99 and free shipping on orders over $35.
It has all of the features you need in pretty much every survival situation, including:
- 3-stage advanced filtration: pre-filter, antibacterial activated carbon filter (which removes, and I quote precisely, “99.99999%” of all waterborne bacteria and protozoa) and 0.01 Microns hollow fiber UF membrane inline filter
- Compliance with all EPA Water Quality Standards through TüV SüD testing, along with a passing grade for the FDA Food Contact test
- Accessories such as the filter kit that includes a foldable water pouch for water collection, a syringe for cleaning, and an attachable straw
- Small size and lightweight for easy transportation in backpacks when backpacking, hiking, camping, or anything else you’re foregoing civilization for
- Filters up to 1,500 liters of drinkable water from literally any clean or dirty source (although I’d probably avoid the sewers)
Great for emergencies, or just imagining you’re living in an apocalyptic scenario of your choice, zombies or sans zombies.
LifeStraw Portable Water Filter
Another excellent option is the LifeStraw personal water filter, which is a bit simpler than the Elekcity model if you want something for briefer use while benefitting from the same effectiveness. You can get it new from $19.95 from other sellers, and it’s also available on Prime for the same price directly from Amazon.
- Ability to remove—and again I quote for maximum accuracy here—”99.9999%” of waterborne bacteria, beyond the EPA’s standards
- Ability to remove 99.9% of protozoan parasites, filtering to an ASTOUNDING 0.2 microns
- Filters up to 1,000 liters of water, excluding water that contains chlorine, iodine, or other chemicals
- Included sealed bag makes it great for emergency storage
It also includes free shipping on orders over $35, of course.
Sawyer Products Mini Water Filter
This Sawyer Products mini water filtration system is yet another delectable and affordable choice, available for a measly $20.06 with free shipping on, you guessed it, orders of over $35. It includes plenty of equipment and filtration capabilities.
With the Sawyer Products water filter for backpacking, you get:
- Filter great for backpacking, hiking, camping, etc.
- Compact high-performance filter that only weighs 2oz., with a 0.1 micron absolute hollow fiber membrane inline filter
- Included drinking pouch, but can attach to standard water bottles or hydration packs
- 7-inch drinking straw for drinking directly from the source
- Can remove a precise “99.99999%” (seriously, how do they come up with these exact figures?) of all bacteria, such as salmonella, E.coli, and cholera, along with 99.9999% of all protozoa
- Filter up to 100,000 gallons
All in all, a solid option here, whether you’re a backpacker living on the fringe or simply always wanted to drink safely from that murky creek in your backyard for some compulsive reason you should probably seek therapy for.
Survivor Filter PRO
The Survivor Filter PRO water purifier is one more awesome choice I’ll recommend. It’s got everything you need for the hardcore survivalist or the naïve newbie who wants to feel like a true survivalist. It’s a bit pricier at $59.95, but you get free shipping regardless of the total order amount, and it’s a great value for all that’s included.
With this model, you’ll receive:
- One independently tested filter (tested courtesy of USA-based Intertek Labs) that surpasses EPA water filter standards
- 99.9% removal of virus, staph and bacteria, along with reduction of heavy metals, including 93% of lead and 99.5% of mercury
- Compact size and fast flow rate, capable of filtering 17oz. per minute at only 6.5 inches long
- In-depth instruction manual, tubing, hose clip, attachable cup, zippered carrying case
- 3 filters including a pre-filter, carbon filter and 0.01 Micron Internal Ultra Filler
- Long-lasting filters that don’t require replacements for some time
- Lifetime warranty and 100% money-back guarantee, so if your filter inexplicably grows a mouth and suddenly issues any threatening statements (not likely), you don’t have to worry about being stuck with it
Obviously, this is the more heavy-duty option among the ones I’ve listed, which makes it great for longer trips or extended emergency situations.
Boston Fortis Explorer Pro Water Filter
Last but certainly not least is the Boston Fortis Explorer Pro multifunctional water purifier, which is also excellent for backpacking, hiking, and the like. As I type away and carpal tunnel sets in, it’s available on sale for $39.99 with free shipping on any order amount, with a normal price of $69.99.
This baby features:
- Filtration for safe and good-tasting drinking water even after periods of heavy use
- 3-stage filtration system that includes ceramic, carbon fiber and KDF filters that can filter 0.1 microns
- Lab-tested and certified equipment that can remove over 99% of bacteria, protozoa, chemicals, metals, and various microorganisms, surpassing EPA standards
- Other equipment to assist with survival such as a compass, flashlight, mini-knife, compass, and even fire flint
- “Super-fast” flow rate of up to 500ml per minute and a compact size of 6.6 x 3.1 x 1.8 inches, weighing only 9oz.
- Detailed instruction manual and convenient carry bag
- 100% money-back guarantee, limited lifetime warranty and other promotions
Take Your Pick of Water Filters for Backpacking
Obviously, these aren’t the only top-tier water filters for backpacking or any other outdoor activities. There are a lot of great models out there that are perfectly affordable for novices and veterans alike, and for the most part they’re easy to use without a lot of complicated workings that might otherwise leave you feeling like you’re going to die of dehydration before the end of your trip.
Backpackers Anonymous will give you some future recommendations for backpacking water filtration systems and a ton of other great backpacking gear that you can buy to make sure you’re prepared for all of nature’s ridiculousness.
To learn more about what all to bring on your backpacking journey in addition to water filters, check out our comprehensive backpacking guide.